Author Topic: HG General  (Read 559 times)

Offline alkhamhills

• Prolific Contributor
HG General
« on: October 18, 2012, 20:06:57 pm »
Alkham Homeguard was formed in 1940 as Local Defence Volunteers. As a Home Guard Company they were attached to the 5th Battalion Home Guard Dover
In a photo(taken Jan 1941/March 1942) , my father Gordon Brigham is seated 2nd left. They were led by Lieut Bertram Ducatel, seated 3rd right
My father later joined the Dover Home Guard. Stories told by his friend Ron Partridge-- one day Gordon decided that his wife should know how to use his rifle. But he forgot there was a bullet in the rifle. Fortunately when it went off, it just made a hole in the skirting board !! --- there were of course no Xmas crackers during WW11, but Gordon and his cronies managed to make their own using cardboard toilet rolls with practice bangers inserted and covered in coloured paper !!!. Believe they also made fireworks by using gunpowder from bullets !!

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 18:02:46 pm »
Dover Express - Friday 09 August 1940

Whilst watching some bombing practice by members of the Canterbury L.D.V. on Thursday evening last week, the Dean of Canterbury (Dr. Hewlett Johnson) narrowly escaped being struck by a dummy Mills grenade. The Dean laughingly remarked: "Don't kill your Dean, although some people might be pleased."
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 18:08:18 pm »
Dover Express - Friday 04 April 1941

HOME GUARDS' SHOULDER TITLES. Many Home Guard Units have not awaited the official issue of the new "Home Guard" shoulder title which will not take place for a few weeks yet. The War Office fully apreciate that their keenness and esprit de corps are such that, in these matters of dress, besides those which improve their operational efficiency, many units are working ahead of official instructions. At the same time, it is hoped that, now the new shoulder titles are on the way, Home Guard Units will await a free issue and not put themselves to the expense which it is most unlikely can be refunded to them.

Offline cliveh

• Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 18:04:09 pm »
A picture of No4 Platoon, Royal East Kent Regiment (The Buffs). No names unfortunately..

Any idea where this one was taken please John?

cliveh

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 18:36:57 pm »
Sorry Clive..

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 16:33:54 pm »
An entry in the ORB of No.97 Maintenance Unit, based at Staple Halt. It demolishes the general impression that the LDV was made up mostly of WWI veterans!

Offline alysloper

• Valued Contributor
HG General
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 22:33:58 pm »
Thanks for this clip - interesting. But can I reveal my ignorance - what is ORB and the no 97 maintenance unit? I assume Staple halt is the railway station at Staple?

thanks

Ian

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 23:30:44 pm »
Sorry Ian, I must stop using abbreviations! ORB is Operations Record Book, also known as Form 540, a daily account of goings-on in a Royal Air Force Unit or Formation. No.97 Maintenance Unit was at Staple Halt for a short while, which was indeed the railway station - at that time, they were responsible for holding and issuing stocks of munitions (bombs, detonators, ammunition) to Squadrons and Units in the East Kent area.

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 15:36:47 pm »
An interesting snippet from the War Diary of No.19 (Farningham) Battalion, with reference to the Northover Projector (see pic in a previous post if you're unsure what these were).

8th August 1942.
Exercise.  No. 4 Platoon "A" Company versus a Platoon of 30th Buffs at Longfield Hill.  Small green apples used in Northovers as ammunition.  Idea suggested by Capt. Woodward and proved quite effective.

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
HG General
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 08:34:12 am »
This Home Guard soldier deserved a nice pat on the back.

Whitstable Times and Herne Bay Herald - Saturday 05 June 1943

RIVER RESCUE BY H.G.

Four-years-old Kenneth Skinner of 38 Station Road, Canterbury, was laying by the river.  Suddenly he fell into The Stour, but luckily his screams were heard by a uniformed Home Guard, Mr Barnett Lee of 34 St. Peter's Place, Canterbury.
Mr Lee dived in and pulled the child out, none the worse for his ducking.  But if it had not been for his prompt action Kenneth would have drowned.

Offline Danno Mark

• Newcomer
Re: HG General
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2024, 13:54:43 pm »
Back row far left is Norman James BELSEY who lived at Little West Hill Farm on Ewell Minnis on what was known as Belsey Lane. He is my wife's great Uncle and came down from the Minnis to live with her and her parents in Temple Ewell in the mid 1950's. I have a Mills Grenade with base plate that was used by his Platoon for practice.
I've been trying to find information about the 5 Platoons that were based in and around Dover but there doesn't seem to be much information. I would be particularly interested to find out what each Platoon was tasked with.