Author Topic: Folkestone (Crete Road West) ROC Post  (Read 2063 times)

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Folkestone (Crete Road West) ROC Post
« on: February 19, 2012, 16:06:16 pm »
Situated inside a fenced compound in Crete Rd West, overlooking Folkestone, this is a master post of the Royal Observer Corps. It was a three man underground bunker which would have been used for monitoring blast, fallout etc as the result of a nuclear strike. The post was closed in September 1991.

Conditions inside are reasonable, despite the post being unlocked. The post was sold at auction in around 2005 (I think), and since that time lighting has been installed by the owner (designed to run from a mobile generator that plugs in to a socket near the entrance hatch), although nothing else in the way of modification or renovation is immediately obvious. Unless one counts the picture on the wall..
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline cliveh

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Folkestone (Crete Road West) ROC Post
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 09:36:36 am »
Not looking so tidy in there yesterday!  :-\

Offline DaveM

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 17:46:23 pm »
I believe I’m correct in saying this was the last underground post built.

This post was a happy post with an excellent award winning team (really we won the Spencer Brown trophy three times in a row. The award was given to the best trained post crew in Metropolitan Sector). I was proud to have served there and miss my old colleagues.

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 05:38:05 am »
I was going to buy this post when it came up for sale nearly 20 years ago, but my then partner disagreed with me splashing out £15,000 or so on a white elephant. Spoilsport!
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline DaveM

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 17:54:03 pm »
At least it was a ‘dry’ post, some used to fill with water. The horse picture wasn’t ours by the way. 50 post was a master post and as a result we had extra batteries and a wee Burndept radio in a metal case. There was a pump next to the monitoring table, the studs are probably still in the floor and top hat cover on the ventilation shaft. The telescopic aerial and separate dipole were stored on clamps in the entrance shaft.