Author Topic: Jagger and Richards statues in Dartford  (Read 315 times)

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
Jagger and Richards statues in Dartford
« on: September 01, 2023, 14:50:42 pm »
Recently unveiled were two statues commemorating the links Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have to Dartford.  The photo below was taken today (1/9/2023) and shows them on the site of the One Bell pub, which was demolished in the late sixties or early seventies. As this is where the town Christmas tree normally goes I wonder if it will fit this year.

The site has been used for market stalls and buskers in recent years so I wonder if this was also  subtle way of moving them off the area, which is slightly raised above ground level.

I'm not sure how I feel about the artworks themselves but the do seem to follow the latest trends in more crude looking finishes. I do hope they kept the moulds!

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Re: Jagger and Richards statues in Dartford
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 15:13:23 pm »
From what are the statues made? If it's bronze, I wonder how long then will last before an angle grinder is taken to them by night and they end up disappearing, to be melted down by an 'ask no questions, be told no lies' scrappy? Jagger's statue, in particular, seems to have a very slight connection, on one foot only, to terra firma.

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Jagger and Richards statues in Dartford
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 16:51:38 pm »
They are bronze apparently. I assume the peg in the ground has a larger bit below ground to prevent people pulling them over. When we saw them a young women and her partner were clothing them in turn with a 'T' shirts cut into a tabard that had some sort of slogan on them. Possibly an advertising gimmick for a podcast?