Author Topic: Area north of slicketts hill, chatham  (Read 216 times)

Offline Richpacks

• Newcomer
Area north of slicketts hill, chatham
« on: January 21, 2024, 12:02:28 pm »
Hi everyone, new poster here! I joined this site to increase my local knowledge of the medway area, and areas beyond! And found it fascinating so far! My current area of interest is what settlement existed at the top of slicketts hill chatham, around best town and lines terrace. It appears on pre 1940 maps that there was a collation of buildings here, including a Sunday school. Was this part of the slum area of the Brook? It seems very steep an area, with no roadway bar the existing steps. I'll try to add some photos, but I'm still getting used to this site haha, any information or memories would be great though, I know of air raid shelters post 1940 which were in the area which are also of interest

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Re: Area north of slicketts hill, chatham
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 12:39:08 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Richpacks, and thank you for your post.

If you experience difficulty attaching images to a post, please let me know the nature of the problem and I'll see if I can help you to resolve it 

I suspect that the Slicketts Hill settlement falls into Kyn's area of interest, both topically and geographically. If she reads this and can help you, hopefully she'll post on this topic.

Offline Richpacks

• Newcomer
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 12:47:23 pm »
Thank you and apologies for the hesitation in posting, I have many questions on many areas but will get to them in time.. I have done a fair bit of research both online and in my boots as to this area in question, but most have come up fairly lacking in information. I understand that the area had been in use since atleast 1890 judging by some maps. There are still some brick remnants in the area top of the steps, one such is a stair way up to the lines, or what appears to be, as well as a bricked shaft with metal rungs which appears to be filled now. My query is the brickwork doesn't look as old as the maps suggest but I may be wrong there. Hopefully I can find a bit more info here. I have seen posts about slicketts(slycates) Hill elsewhere on this forum which have given me some insight to the area so I may need to post there also

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 14:39:19 pm »
Have you looked at the 25" OS maps?  Massive amount of clearance from the 1907 to 1932 maps and totally cleared by 1953 1:1250 OS
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline Richpacks

• Newcomer
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 16:59:51 pm »
I have seen how quickly it all clears in that period. I've got a detailed idea of the structures from os maps, and I very heard that there were just 2 houses left at the top of the steps by the 60s, torn down by the 70s. I just wonder what was actually there as the only reference bar the houses is the sunday school shown on some maps. I would share what I have but the screenshots are apparently too large to upload

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 18:40:17 pm »
Have you looked at the 25" OS maps, they have loads of buildings on, especialy the 1907
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline Richpacks

• Newcomer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 18:58:34 pm »
Yes the 1907 os is what 1st brought my attention to the area, due to the abundance of structures there. I'm sure the same amount were present on an 1890s map of similar style