Author Topic: Cadet TX3 crash at RAF Kenley 30 August 1952  (Read 114 times)

Online QuePee

• Contributor
Cadet TX3 crash at RAF Kenley 30 August 1952
« on: January 30, 2024, 14:27:00 pm »
I am aware of an accident suffered to a Cadet glider of the ATC that occured on the above date at RAF Kenley. Unfiortunately this resulted in the death of the pilot and sole occupant. Unfortunately I have no idea as to serial of the aircraft involved. If any member of this forum has the information I would appreciate an update.

30.08.52   ????   Cadet TX3 of 143 Gliding School. Immediately after cast off at the top of the launch at RAF Kenley, the aircraft entered a dive from which it did not recover. The cadet pilot was killed.
      Leading Air Cadet DJ Bygrave.

QP

Online QuePee

• Contributor
Re: Cadet TX3 crash at RAF Kenley 30 August 1952
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 14:30:22 pm »
I have located the attached newspaper cutting from presumably a local newspaper (though I do not know which one nor the actual date of the publication).

QP

Offline pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Re: Cadet TX3 crash at RAF Kenley 30 August 1952
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2024, 15:51:10 pm »
The ASN website gives part of the serial number as WT8## but, unhelpfully, doesn't say why or indicate the source of that. Furthermore, it doesn't really narrow the field. There was a block of Slingsby T.31B Cadet TX.3 gliders for the ATC with WT8## serial numbers, which are WT865-WT877 and WT893-WT899. So assuming that the ASN website is correct in its theory, that gives twenty aircraft that could have been that in which Denis Bentley lost his life.

I presume that the Flt Lt A. D. Piggott, mentioned in the press cutting, is the late Derek Piggott.