Author Topic: Military Aircraft Incidents relative to today  (Read 144 times)

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
Military Aircraft Incidents relative to today
« on: February 12, 2024, 13:02:12 pm »
A badly worded title but it struck me from reading the numbers of incidents post war that those times were very dangerous for aircrew, not least because some of the aircraft may have seen action. However as with most statistics you can spin them around to show whatever picture you want on the assumption that the general public is easily bamboozled by statistical terms.

However it would be interesting to judge them in comparison to modern military incidents but how?

a) By aircraft numbers - There are very few military aircraft today compared to the fifties, so would it be fair to use a per aircaft type of comparison like per 100, or don't we have that many?

b) Per flying hours - A similar comparison to numbers of aircraft but the modern air force uses simulators a lot more to save money.

c) Average aircraft flying hours - Old an knackered compared to hardly used and better maintained. Probably difficult to do without a lot of work.

d) Pilot flying hours - Similar to above but should you exclude or include simulator time?

e) I did have an e) but for the life of me I can't recall it.

I don't expect any answers but I think some sort of perspective is needed when looking at the large number of incidents.

Peter

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Military Aircraft Incidents relative to today
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 13:06:53 pm »
Just remembered, what e) was going to be

e) Training, quality of - No idea how to quantify or compare but it must have been a factor.

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 13:38:03 pm »
I think you might like to add an f to the list, that being pilots attitude possibly a derring do left over from WW2. My father was adjudant at RAF Merriefield in Somerset which was a traing/conversion unit in the early 1950s. He had numerous  funerals to arrange where pilots had done stupid things, mostly flying (or trying to) under Clifton Suspension Bridge . Also as PH has listed a couple of times either unauthorised aerobatics or showing off over home. As many of the a/c involved were Meteors or Vampires I wonder about the construction, not sure about Meteors but wasn't a lot of the Vampire airframe wooden?
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline Tim Sargeant

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 19:20:30 pm »

I don't remember any wooden construction in our Vampire. Ex Royal Navy WW461 Previously based at Culdrose I believe.

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 22:54:52 pm »
I believe the early versions included some wood components (wings?) but probably changed to all metal once all those unwanted wartime aircraft were melted down. Didn't the Mosquito end up being all metal post war?

Offline Tim Sargeant

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2024, 17:20:29 pm »

The flexible (rubber ??) fuel tanks were inside the wings. Don't remember seeing any wood when I removed them!