Author Topic: Canterbury City Wall  (Read 1429 times)

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Canterbury City Wall
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:24:40 am »
Interesting correspondence from 1963 regarding Canterbury City Wall. I like the phrase;

"Canterbury City Council and its officers strangely and sadly insensitive to the great treasures in their midst.."
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline alkhamhills

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Canterbury City Wall
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 20:37:13 pm »
I am sure the words "Council and its officers strangely and sadly insensitive" would apply to every council in the land in many of their decisions

Offline Man of Kent1

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:55 am »
Anthony is STILL practising as an architect today and is, at the age of 98, the UK's, possibly the world's oldest such.  I have met him and he's still angry at the way the old CBC vandalised much of the city after the war in pursuit of 'The Great Plan'.
He was particularly scathing regarding the old Guildhall in the High Street.  It was claimed that it was 'unsafe', due to various deteriorations in the timbers.  He told me he could have saved it, given the funding.  After it was demolished it became a shoe shop and is now a Costa Coffee.
I helped save an 18C mansion house in the early 1990's, part of a now thriving grammar school, which was suffering much the same problems, which the KCC had written off.
Where there's a will...................................

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 10:17:51 am »
A couple of postcards from the 1970's..
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline Man of Kent1

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 23:22:57 pm »
Quaint old cars, too!  Nice postcards.  These days the verges are inundated with road signs, some as a result of the addition of the bus lane, which makes for very creative attempts to get an unspoilt view!

Offline mmitch

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 10:26:23 am »
And they are still struggling with the walls and the traffic. They closed the West gate to traffic and now there are demands to open it again. At least the main A2 bypasses the town completely now or it would be jammed all day.
mmitch.

Offline airman585

• Contributor
    • yesterdays-story.blogspot
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 23:57:34 pm »
Here is a picture of my GGrandfather and his works crew renovating one of the city wall towers early 1900s

Offline airman585

• Contributor
    • yesterdays-story.blogspot
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 00:21:19 am »
This is how the moat between the mound and the old school house used to look, even when I was a boy.
I thought a great loss when the new road was built taking the moat away.
Does anyone know what happened to the old capstan from Nelsons flag ship the Foudroyant (shown in this picture)

Offline ChrisL

• Contributor
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2024, 15:16:22 pm »
Not much to look at, but those few red bricks are all that remains of the Canterbury walls Roman gateways, an archeologist showed me where this is.
You can just about see the arch starting to spring.
Wey & Arun Canal Trust Member
Somerset Coal Canal Society Member
Stover Canal Trust Member
RCHS Member

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 22:19:09 pm »
I remember walking those walls in the mid to late sixties, even found a ten bob note near them. It seemed a mystical place (Canterbury) back then and no so many tourists if I recall. I gather it is not so nice now and, like Rochester, not pleasant at night. Not sure why this is happening but I can hazard a guess.

Offline ChrisL

• Contributor
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 12:00:02 pm »
I stayed there last year & if you were walking in the opposite direction to the foreign tourist flow it was like battling upstream in a fast flowing river.

Fortunately just outside the walls I found a nice Sheperd Neame pub with hardly anyone in it.
Wey & Arun Canal Trust Member
Somerset Coal Canal Society Member
Stover Canal Trust Member
RCHS Member