Author Topic: Manston Camp Light Railway  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Prolific Contributor
Manston Camp Light Railway
« on: January 24, 2013, 22:08:11 pm »
The Manston Camp Light Railway. The engine was a 'Q' Class 0-4-4T at first but this was changed over the years. The line closed in 1925. Passengers had to board a train at Birchington and change for the Camp at Upper End Farm. Max speed of the line was 10mph.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Manston Camp Light Railway
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 14:50:35 pm »
This was the class of locomotive used on the line.  The 'Q' class 0-4-4T.

Offline Ron Stilwell

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 18:16:57 pm »
Map of Manston RAF Station. As with all these maps, please let me know of any obvious errors, and suggestions of possible additions.
I'm trying to identify which runways were in use on particular dates.  For instance, where was the WW1 runway system?

Offline Monkton Malc

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 10:20:14 am »
I see today they want to put a railway back in..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24362012

Plans for a railway station and improved road access near Manston Airport in Kent have been drawn up.

The proposals, part of the Manston Green housing development, would see about 800 homes built and a parkway station on land east of the airport.

Offline airman585

• Contributor
    • yesterdays-story.blogspot
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 00:00:31 am »
hmm nothing like building 800 new homes in close proximity to an airport to frustrate any future expansion of the airport. I have seen it happen, new homes built, people move in and before you know it they are complaining about aircraft noise etc..
With the need for jobs in Thanet the airport is a golden opportunity, hope it is not thwarted by poor planning.
A rail link to the main line restored could open up an interesting future.

Offline MagicNJ

• Contributor
  • History of Manston Airfield
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 12:41:31 pm »
I am currently trying to put together the information on the Manston Light Railway for a post, so if anyone has come across any more information since this discussion I would welcome any input.

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 14:41:17 pm »
I am amazed that little or nothing seems to have been written concerning the Manston Camp Light Railway - at least, judging by the paucity of references to it produced by an internet search. I had expected to find that the Railway Magazine had, last century, published something on the subject, but no. However if I am wrong and you find that something has appeared in the Railway Magazine, let me know the date of the issue. I have an almost complete run of the magazine from the 1930s to the 1960s. 

Offline MagicNJ

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2024, 16:13:42 pm »
Exactly.  I am managing to piece together some information so far from a number of sources - the best so far has been an article by Robert B. Matkin "Manston Aerodrome Light Railway 1918-1929" which appeared in Bygone Kent, although it does have a number of areas of information that aren't complete. There are a few other articles around but as usual they all do need cross-referencing for accuracy given the usual caveats with any past research.

Both the railway and the sunken hangars are well overdue being revisited given even in several books on Manston that have appeared, there has been little documented about it all so far.

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2024, 17:29:26 pm »
The railway doesn't show on any OS ( 1", 6", 25") maps as "live" or disused, there is a footpath roughly following the route mentioned in posting #1 on a 1930s map
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline MagicNJ

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2024, 18:56:24 pm »
The railway does show on the OS map from 1920 (possibly published in 1938), but that stops at Cheeseman's farm.  There is however another from 1920 (apparently) which shows it to its true terminus.

Offline Pete

• Prolific Contributor
  • We Wunt Be Druv
    • Bishopstone Tide Mills
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2024, 08:36:30 am »
Back to Specsavers for me!! Also found it on 1914 revision printed 1920
Sussex Bonfire - a way of life, not just for Nov 5th

Offline Monkton Malc

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2024, 20:47:58 pm »
Looking at that map, the railway carries on past Cheeseman's farm and stops somewhere near this building on this google maps link.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/MZy98EwWosXomuzx6

This is my best guess. The area that now has Esmonde Drive, Tollemache Close and Musgrave Close used to be a large concrete area which had the base for a transport company who were transporting Volkswagens from Ramsgate harbour and the VW depot in Manston Road. Although I went to that yard a few times when I was working for Volkswagen, I never took any notice of what was there during my visits as it never crossed my mind to look for something historical back then.

Online Tim Sargeant

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2024, 23:21:51 pm »

Hindsight is such a wonderful thing!

Offline ChrisL

• Contributor
    • Flickr Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2024, 13:56:54 pm »
The trackbed can be seen in this aerial photo.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/238924570
Wey & Arun Canal Trust Member
Somerset Coal Canal Society Member
Stover Canal Trust Member
RCHS Member