Author Topic: Barton Court Grammar School  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Man of Kent1

• Prolific Contributor
Barton Court Grammar School
« on: July 11, 2013, 23:46:26 pm »
It is a universal truth that, sooner or later, history repeats itself!
Today's feature in the 'Kentish Gazette' about a new 'satellite grammar school', apparently sponsored by Barton Court Grammar School(BCGS) in Canterbury, is to be built as part of a new development in the Whitstable/Herne Bay area, brought a wry smile to these wizened features this morning.
It seems like only yesterday that, in 1990, there was published a KCC proposal(secretly decided upon in 1988) to build a new grammar school in the said area, with the said BCGS forming the 'nucleus' of the new school, producing, as is the habit of those harbouring, and doctoring, the necessary 'statistics' to support their case.
The then Secretary of State for Education demurred, stating that the proposals, surprise, surprise, did not meet the national criteria sufficient for him to agree to contribute towards the £10m costs.
So, in 1992, back came the KCC with a proposal to close Herne Bay High School and establish the new grammar school on the site.  The William Nottidge Secondary School was to be enlarged to take the non-selective pupils from Herne Bay.  BCGS would still be closed down.
This 'plan' was given to the then new head teacher of BCGS two days into his job!
Eventually, the parents of the pupils attending BCGS threw out the proposals, and later voted to go Grant Maintained, with the majority of the coastal town parents voting in favour.  Strange that the KCC didn't bother to canvass their opinions in the first place, despite having just opened a new area office in Whitstable, but there we are, that was the nature of the beast at the time.
This time round there is no overt threat to BCGS, which is now an Academy School, and therefore independent of the KCC, but I wonder what the coastal parents will have to say!

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Re: Barton Court Grammar School
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2022, 19:00:52 pm »
1961, the new Technical School for Girls which later became Barton Court Grammar School.

My ex went to this school when it was all-girls, and when our kids were old enough they both went here when it was a mixed-sex* Grammar. I remember the arguments I had with my ex when our son had passed the Kent Test (the only kid at his awful local school to do so that year!) and we were looking at options for his education - she was determined that he would go to Barton Court just because she'd gone there, whilst I wanted to compare it with Simon Langton grammar school. As it turned out, I wasn't impressed with the Langton due to the snobbery, and Barton Court actually beat it hands down in almost all respects.

* In those days there were only two sexes, male and female, unlike today  ;D
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 06:47:32 am »
Another photograph from 1961..
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline PNK

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 17:08:33 pm »
1961 built and still standing? Wow. I thought the sixties had been demolished.  :)