Author Topic: Bastion Level, Dover Castle  (Read 4749 times)

Offline bmacm

• Contributor
Re: Bastion Level, Dover Castle
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2023, 15:33:58 pm »
I've seen this page before and I think it was in the bunch of docs along with "Bastion" plans. Were not the tunnels built by RE tunneling companies, not contractors?

Offline bmacm

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2023, 15:49:24 pm »
Only having a quick look at the tunnel accessed from either the cinema on casemate or some stairs in dumpy I didn't get very good photos. Time for a revisit.
The enclosed drawing shows the rough location of the place. I accessed it going up the stairs from BC1 in dumpy. What this drawing doesn't show is the length of this tunnel and the rooms off of it. I have found descrepancies on various drawings and maps and often wondered if it was intentional or not.

Offline JakeUg

• Newcomer
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2023, 17:17:28 pm »
In the Eastern ditch, opposite East demi bastion a section of the moat Wall has a section of brickwork which is newer than the rest of the moat, this is in the shape of an archway/doorway as though there was a tunnel behind, about 6ft high by 5ft wide. It looks like part of the moat wall had been knocked through to see whats behind, and then been repaired to as it was. This could be from the survey where they stated to find a structural support arch, or could it be the sealed up access tunnel to bastion. It is right in line with the officers mess like the plans you have previously posted show. If I can find a photo I have taken of the section of wall I will post it here.
Anyway it has been very interesting reading this thread so thank you all for the contributions, I understand the plans were forged, but the legend of bastion level will always live on!

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2023, 05:50:04 am »
Welcome along, Jake, and thanks for the input. As you say, the legend will live on - but maybe, just maybe, new information will come to light at a future date. There's one more Tunnelling Company War Diary still to be released by Library and Archives Canada, but having studied the others that they have already released, I'm none the wiser as to supposed Canadian involvement in the initial digging.
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline Oldaker

• Newcomer
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2024, 17:44:51 pm »
I have just joined and am interested in the Dover tunnels ( and many other pages in the forum! )    Has any more been discovered regarding the "lost" tunnels under the castle?

Offline John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2024, 06:34:54 am »
I'm fairly sure that there haven't been any recent developments in regard to finding anything, but I must admit that I'm a bit out of the loop when it comes to underground stuff these days.

Welcome to the forum  :)
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Offline ElCamino

• Contributor
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2024, 19:52:51 pm »
While not strictly Dover there are some tunnel/bunker related posts about the Sheerness fortifications in the Forts section as well as the one on gun batteries too!:) No one seems to respond with much these days though but hopefully something exciting related to tunnels n forts comes out soon