Author Topic: Copying work & acknowledging sources..  (Read 13764 times)

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Copying work & acknowledging sources..
« on: December 27, 2014, 16:31:05 pm »
Could I ask everyone to be a bit more careful about how they source their information and reproduce it on here please? If large chunks of text are taken from other websites, it would be nice if a link to the original article is included, or at the very least a mention of the author. I'm happy that people are spending time sourcing new topics, but having battled with other people who have lifted some of my original work on the Dover gun batteries and reproduced it as their own, it can leave me high and dry when I'm approached by someone regarding having their work appear on this forum without acknowledgement.

Photographs can be a tricky issue too - I'm more than happy for scans of old postcards to appear, or copies of old photo's that you have obtained from sources other than the internet. And, of course, your own photographs taken in the course of your travels. But I would appreciate it if other people's photo's, on other websites, are left alone - it's hard for me to define what is OK and what isn't, but generally it should be apparent what can be used.

Thanking you all, and wishing you a fantastic New Year  :)
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
Re: Copying work & acknowledging sources..
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 17:44:46 pm »
Further to my above, can people now refrain from copying from Wiki totally, and ease off on posting links to other sites. Thank'ee.

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 16:49:51 pm »
A nudge..

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:22:38 am »
A gentle nudge regarding using other people's photographs  ;)

Photographs can be a tricky issue too - I'm more than happy for scans of old postcards to appear, or copies of old photo's that you have obtained from sources other than the internet. And, of course, your own photographs taken in the course of your travels. But I would appreciate it if other people's photo's, on other websites, are left alone - it's hard for me to define what is OK and what isn't, but generally it should be apparent what can be used.

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:08:24 am »
RAF archive material..........

I like to go back over 'old posts' and see what happened if it isn't explained in the original post.  A great source of information for this is the 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" which is linked to the RAF Commands website.  I have been in email contact with the RAF Commands website managers and they are happy to let me quote from their research as long as I credit them with their work, which I do.  They have had a number of instances where other websites have used their research and claimed it as their own - those whole websites / Forums are now barred from using 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" - not just the individual person posting.  If you do use the 'RAF Commands" website and "Unaccounted Airmen" website then it is a big MUST to credit them with their work - as our whole Forum will be barred and that will deprive us of a brilliant source of information.

Thank you.  NC

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 16:12:56 pm »
Another gentle nudge about using photographs from the internet..

Also I've just removed a post that has been copied and pasted from the Aircrew Remembered website.

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 17:15:30 pm »
Further to my above, can people now refrain from copying from Wiki totally, and ease off on posting links to other sites. Thank'ee.

A reminder

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 16:54:32 pm »
To echo John's remarks, which remain valid, please read and have careful regard to the following elements of the revised forum guidelines (the new 'membership terms and conditions'):

- Generally speaking, a post that contains no more than a hyperlink is unacceptable and will be removed.
- Remember that the text posted and documents attached on this forum usually represent a member’s careful research and hard work. Please respect that. If you want to quote the text or use the documents posted on this forum, ask the poster first; and get his or her permission before you use it; and when you do use it, always acknowledge the poster and this forum as the source. Anyone found to be doing otherwise - and particularly if that person is passing off the text and/or documents sourced here as his or her own - will cease to be a member of this forum and may face civil legal action for damages and/or an injunction.
- You agree, through becoming a member of and using this forum, that you will not post any .....  copyright material unless you own the copyright or you have and produce written consent from the owner of the copyright material.  

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 10:38:55 am »
Recently, the issue of copyright, with reference to photographs posted on the forum, came up again. Because of that, it seems to be a good time to clarify the issue.

It goes without saying that if a forum member knows the identity of the owner of the copyright in an image which they are proposing to post on the forum, they should obtain that person's consent before posting the image - and if that consent is not given, the image should not be posted on the forum. If the identity of the copyright owner is unknown, it would be prudent for the member to state as much in the post to which the image is attached. However there is no prohibition, per se, of images, of which the copyright owner is unknown and whose identity is not reasonably ascertainable, being posted on the forum. However if someone comes forward, claiming to be the copyright owner and objecting to their image appearing on the forum, the photograph will be taken down whilst the person claiming to be the copyright owner is invited to provide evidence to support their claim. If that person provides satisfactory evidence, to the forum administrators, the image will not be re-instated to the forum. If no such evidence is provided, the image may, at the forum administrators' discretion, be re-instated.

Put simply, in most cases it will just be a case of acting sensibly. But if a forum member is in any doubt, please do consult a forum administrator before posting an image that is not theirs.