Author Topic: Sub Lieutenant Alexander Flygenring  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
Sub Lieutenant Alexander Flygenring
« on: August 03, 2015, 21:34:42 pm »
Sub Lieutenant Alexander August Flygenring
Fleet Air Arm  813 Squadron
HMS Peregrine
Died  - Wednesday 25 June 1947

Attached is a photograph of the grave headstone of Sub Lieutenant Alexander Flygenring which I took a few months ago.  It is one of the FAA graves in the CWGC section of the graveyard at St. Mary's at Clyimping, Sussex which is about a mile or so from RNAS Ford / HMS Peregrine

Sub Lt Flygenring was flying a Blackburn Firebrand serial number EK785 attached to 813 Squadron FAA.  The aircraft crashed on 25th June 1947 and S/Lt Flygenring was killed.  One report of the incident shows that it crashed during an air display at RNAS Lee on Solent but I haven't confirmed this.

Offline alkhamhills

• Prolific Contributor
Re: Sub Lieutenant Alexander Flygenring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 17:34:56 pm »
A A Flygenring

Navy List shows him as a Temp Sub Lieut 2.3.1945.

Born 1925, Scotland. Parents Thordur Stephen & Stella Rankin (of Eastbourne in 1947)
His father apparently died 1940 at Hafnarfjord, Iceland(he was born there in 1897)

See his pic, courtesy of a Public Tree, Ancestry.

Offline Icare9

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 18:20:34 pm »
Temp S/Lt as of 18 November 1944 per Navy List 1945.
On 2 March 1945 he was transferred from RNVR to RN.

Shadbolt is in same Navy List as RNZNVR Temp S/Lt as of 21 June 1943

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 20:33:08 pm »
I would still like to know more about the circumstances of his fatal flight.  I can't find anymore than an unsubstantiated reference that it was in an air display.

His last name is quite unusual.

Offline Icare9

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 22:13:59 pm »
http://archive.is/OWHx#selection-195.19905-195.19997
25-06-47.  EK785. Firebrand TF.V crashed during air display, Manor Way  Lee-on-Solent

Offline nibrammer

• Newcomer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 14:48:05 pm »
Alexander Flygenring was my cousin. My mother was his father's sister (they were one of 11 children, from Hafnarfjordur in Iceland).
He was the only child of Stella Flygenring.
Nina Waldock.

Offline Craggs

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 17:16:52 pm »
Hello Nina, and welcome to the Forum......

I don't know if you have ever visited Alexander's resting place so I've attached another two photographs.  His grave headstone is in the row nearest to the hedge.  If you look at the first picture his headstone is the 6th on the right - as you count back from the nearest headstone. It is the one after the three 'arched' headstones.  The second photo is a bit less clear but gives you an idea of where he rests.

The graveyard is very well maintained. The pictures that I have posted were taken in May 2015.

NC

Online John

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 15:07:34 pm »
Eastbourne Herald - Saturday 28 June 1947

NAVAL PILOT KILLED

A brilliant young Royal Navy pilot, Lieutenant Alexander August Flygenring, whose home was at "Barton," Bedfordwell-road, Eastbourne, was killed in a flying accident at Lee-on-Solent airfield on Wednesday. Lieutenant Flygenring was the only child of Stella and the late Mr Thordur S. Flygenring, and the only grandchild of Mr and Mrs A. W. Forsyth Hayes, of Bedfordwell-road.

The Lieutenant was flying a Blackburn Firebrand aircraft in a demonstration before 350 senior officers of the Services, some foreign military repsentatives and civilian aeronautical experts when the plane side-slipped at 150 feet and fell into a back garden some distance from the airfield. Lieutenant Flygenring was killed instantly but nobody else was hurt.

Lieutenant Flygenring was 23 and had been in the Royal Naval Air Service 4 years. Educated at Melville College, Edinburgh, he joined the National Fire Service at the age of 15 as a messenger and later went into the Home Guard. While at school, he was promoted to the rank of Sergeant-major in the Royal Scots Cadets. Joining the Navy at the age of 18, he received his wings at 19, and 18 months ago he enlisted as a regular. Part of Lieutenant Flygenring's service was spent in Canada and Ireland. but latterly he had been stationed near Portsmouth and spent several short leaves in Eastbourne, playing badminton at Devonshire Park and also golf.

An inquest was held yesterday (Friday) afternoon and the funeral takes place at Ford this morning.
"You know, if you don’t read history, you’re a bloody idiot." - James Clavell

Online pomme homme

• Editor
  • Prolific Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2024, 17:12:26 pm »
I would still like to know more about the circumstances of his fatal flight. 

One report says that Sub-Lt. Flygenring was engaging in low level aerobatics when he crashed. Manor Way is south of Lee-on-Solent airfield. Making a low pass over, in a broadly southerly direction, either runway 06/24 or 00/18 might well take a pilot over Manor Way as he flies away. Maybe he put the Firebrand through an aerobatic manoeuvre, at low level over the airfield, and failed to pull out of that before crashing into the ground in Manor Way?

Offline alkhamhills

• Prolific Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2024, 09:37:05 am »
Alexander Flygenring
Few more bits

Born 3.6.1925
Enlisted 2.3.1945 as a Temporary Sub Lieut RNVR

Confirmed  “Crashed At Manor Way, Lee-On-Solent During Low-Level Aerobatics At an Air Display”